Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Decisions decisions

I found a list with my new year's resolutions for 1998 the other day. What a depressing reality check.

For instance, 9 years (!) later I'm still struggling with self-discipline and impulsivity. I'm still hoping to get fit, save money and spend more time with friends. And I'm definitely still postponing things to the last minute.

So this year I'm trying a new approach. I'm making peace with the fact that I'm extremely deadline-driven. Things like Stephen Covey's 5th habit - doing the important things before they become urgent things - will never work for me. I love urgent things.

The end of regrets over spur of the moment-decisions has also arrived. The archived fuck-ups always make the current ones feel a lot less embarrassing.

Climbing a mountain at 6 am on Christmas day made my worries about my absolute lack of self-discipline disappear. The thing is, if it involves something I don't love, it's going to take some dynamite (or a pressing deadline) under my ass to get it done. And that's fine by me.

Therefore my only resolution for 2007 is to start making decisions. The things that demand attention kinda stay the same over time: family, friends, career, location, money, health, love.

By not specifying anything, the pressure is off. I can be as impulsive as I want, postpone things as much as I like and change my mind whenever I feel like it. 2007 is going to be a splendid year.

No comments: