Friday, December 15, 2006

boredom, broken hearts and other bollocks

All men are things the devil shat out, my grandfather advised on my first day at varsity.

Never date a guy who is shorter and thinner than you, my mom added. And for God's sake, whatever you do, leave the Yanks alone.

The fact of the matter is - they cause (uninvited) trouble, whether doing aids work in Gauteng or blowing up bridges in Iraq. Of course a combination of my own stubbornness (cause: genetic) and decision-making skills that depend wholly on emotion and impulsivity (cause: star sign) made me fall in love. With a Yank. A cute, clever (but extremely moody) one.

I won't bore you with the gory details, safe to say I'll be spending Christmas and New Year's Eve in dusty Karoo towns in stead of impressing his family in LA and getting drunk in Mexico.

All because I'm not interesting enough, or so he says. So the only thing on my to do list for 2007 is to find a hobby. The thing is, if you have many friends, read tons of books, newspapers and magazines, work hard and spend a lot of time with some moody American, chances are you don't have the time to do something interesting like save Africa or the rainforests or Jacob Zuma. To be honest, I don't even have the time to try and save my bank balance.

So I'm trying out blogging. Just because it's one of those things you have to do before it peaks (according to Gartner, that will be in April 2007) and just so you can become one of the more than 200 million ex-bloggers in 2 months' time. I guess this will be a Bridget Jones of sorts, except I don't know any hunky men, am not obsessed with weight (haven't been on a scale in 3 years) and don't live in a country where members of the royal family are allowed to marry only one woman at a time.

More on the bank balance, general sanity levels and the state of the nation next week.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

well done on an exceptional intro to your new hobby. Gartner is right...Im thinking March already, though.And by the way, you are THE most interesting female person I have ever known. That doesn't make a difference to you, Im sure...but hey. Oh and screw him, his moodiness and his Americanness.This has nothing to do with genetics.It's pure ignorance.
From
Almost-Married-To-An-American

MR said...

Men: Can't live with them and can't live with them. "Not interesting"?? "Not interesting"?? What bollocks! The problem is more likely he can't keep up with you and you've fallen into the trap, which all women in the 21st century with brains and no plans to pop out kids while chained to the kitchen sink inevitably do: you have an opinion, you challenge him, you refuse to massage his ego, and you have career plans. Although, as Flo says, this probably doesn't make a jot of difference to your feelings now, you deserve better, and you can now add his qualities to the "What I'm not looking for in a potential suitor" list! Chin up, swaer, onwards and upwards as they say.

Unknown said...

I agree with meagan. He couldn't keep up. Luh-who-sehur...